Sunday 22 July 2012

How to show, not tell.

Over the weekend, I was quite the chef, and I prepared a spaghetti dish, called Spaghetti Surprise.

Many people ask me what the surprise is...but I never tell them. I want to show them the surprise. People like memorable dishes: this sort of thing makes life far more interesting.

You should also apply that rule to your storytelling. For example, don't tell the reader it was cold outside. Describe how it was cold. That way, you can let the reader decide if it was cold--you also want to entrance the reader with your wordplay.

Using this approach should help you become a better storywriter. You may even get published. Critics will read your work and decide if it is any good. Just don't worry if a critic doesn't like your work.

That's why I ignore any jibes about my cooking style. For example, I did not "almost" set the house on fire, as one or two people claim.

See what I mean? It's just jealousy!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Harberson Rd,London,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment